MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in many fields. This is a comprehensive overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, the 3 components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X refers to the elements of C and N. The MXene material is actually a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. Max Phase material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the wonderful physical properties of MAX materials get them to have an array of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be found in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and can be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials likewise have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties may be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which is often found in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, similar to the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation strategies for MXene materials usually range from the etching therapy for the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties such as electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are popular in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability in the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, with all the continuous progress of science and technology and the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and methods may be further explored to comprehend a more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is already high, however, there is still room for further optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other aspects of the material may be studied and improved in depth to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have been widely used in lots of fields, but there are still many potential application areas to be explored. Later on, they could be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
In conclusion, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a broad application prospect in lots of fields. With the continuous progress of science and technology and the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.